Talc Contaminated With Asbestos
Talc contaminated with asbestos can occur given the close proximity of the two minerals in natural deposits. In fact, it is not uncommon for both talc and asbestos to be found in the same mineral deposits.
The type of asbestos that is most frequently found in the same mineral deposits as talc is tremolite, which is a form of amphibole asbestos.
As the talc is mined, tremolite fibers may be released. This puts the miners at risk, as well as the future consumers of the products for which the talc will be used, such as talcum powders.
While the FDA now has standards in place regarding testing of talc to determine whether asbestos is present, such testing may not have been as accurate in its earlier days. As such, some products initially thought to be free from asbestos may have contained small amounts of asbestos.
For more information on this topic, visit our How Asbestos in Talcum Powder Can Cause Mesothelioma page.
Asbestos and Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma is caused by inhalation or ingestion of asbestos fibers, which then become embedded in the lining of either the lungs, abdomen, or heart. This causes inflammation, and eventually, the formation of tumors in the affected areas.
There are several different types of mesothelioma:
- Pleural Mesothelioma (of the lungs)
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma (of the abdomen)
- Pericardial Mesothelioma (of the heart)
While there are factors that can increase someone’s risk of developing mesothelioma, only asbestos has been scientifically proven to cause the disease.
Most recent posts about talc with asbestos causing mesothelioma from our AsbestosHUB.com blog:
- Johnson & Johnson says talc products have always been asbestos-free. Court documents suggest otherwise
- California Lawsuit Alleging Cashmere Bouquet Talcum Powder Caused Mesothelioma Will Get Court Trial
- In J&J’s Backyard, Attorneys Paint Contrasting Pictures of Talc’s Alleged Link to Mesothelioma
- New Jersey Asbestos – Talc Mesothelioma Trial to Begin in 2018
- Johnson & Johnson wins California lawsuit claiming asbestos in talc caused cancer
- Colgate-Palmolive Settles Claims Over Asbestos in Talc
- Lawsuits Claim Asbestos in Talcum Powders Caused Mesothelioma
- Products That May Contain Asbestos-Contaminated Talc
- Who Could Be Exposed to Asbestos – Contaminated Talc
- How Asbestos in Talcum Powder Can Cause Mesothelioma
- Frequently Asked Questions