Asbestos Exposure Came From Pipe Covering And Block Insulation Products Which Released Asbestos Dust During Maintenance Work
James N. was born in December 1929 in Whiteville, North Carolina.
He worked as a Chemical Operator for 19 years, from 1967 to 1986, at W.R. Grace in Wilmington, North Carolina. He also worked as a Sandblaster at this W.R. Grace plant.
While working at the W.R. Grace plant James was exposed to asbestos when installing boilers or repairing boilers. Additionally, he occasionally would tear out asbestos insulation materials during maintenance work there.
While performing his job duties, he was exposed to the following asbestos-containing products:
- Pipe covering
- Block insulation
- Insulating cement
- Insulating spray
- Joint compound
Given the duration of exposure and potentially high levels of inhalation of asbestos particles, he was placed at significant risk for developing the devastating complications of asbestos exposure including lung carcinoma, mesothelioma, pleural effusions, and pulmonary asbestosis.
James served in the Navy on the vessel Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1948.
In 1997, while living in Wilmington, NC, James was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the lung. He was 68 years old at the time of his diagnosis. On August 30, 1998 James died of lung cancer at the age of 68. His surviving family were his wife and son.
Some of the major defendants from James’ asbestos lawsuit were AC&S, Uniroyal, Combustion Engineering, and Haliburton.
In addition to that lawsuit against the asbestos manufacturers, a North Carolina workers compensation death claim was filed against the responsible employer, W.R. Grace.
North Carolina asbestos lawyer Tom Lamb represented the family of this Wilmington, NC Chemical Operator in a lung cancer asbestos lawsuit — as well as the related NC workers compensation claim — which resulted in significant settlements obtained from the asbestos companies and the responsible employer.
Our law firm has gotten legal compensation for many asbestos clients with cases involving asbestosis, lung cancer, or mesothelioma caused by their past exposure to asbestos containing materials which they worked with or around at various types of NC work sites all across the state.